My name is John Morris, and I am a mechanical engineering student at California State University – Long Beach.
During my education, I have picked up an affinity for computer science. My major is still mechanical engineering, but at every available opportunity, I have devoured computer science classes. In the process, I have received several computer related certificates of achievement from my college, and taken on several personal projects.
While only the tip of an iceberg, I am most proud of, and been the most successful with, websites and WordPress plugin development. I have several plugins in the WordPress plugin directory, and am currently working on more. And have created several websites. I have also, in the past, developed, but not published Android apps, Windows Store apps, Windows and Linux applications, and more.
You can find a portfolio of some of my more recent work on this site, as well as some topics that interest me, and much more.
Feel free to contact me with any opportunities, job offers, or assistance requests. I’ll get back to you as soon as possible!
California State University, Long Beach | Pursuing Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (2016)
- Major: Mechanical Engineering, Cumulative GPA: 3.6
- Related coursework: 3D Solid Modeling, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, and Engineering Computer Methods (Matlab)
Los Angeles Pierce College
- Certificates of Achievements: Programming for Computer Science (PDF), Personal Computer Service Technology (PDF), and Network Technology (PDF)
- Major: Mechanical Engineering / Computer Science
- Related coursework: 2D Drafting, Physics, Electricity, Chemistry, Computer Programming, Computer Networking, Web Design
- Programs: MS Office (including Excel and Access), AutoCAD, SolidWorks
- Operating Systems: Windows 98/2000/XP/7/8, Linux, OS X
- Networking: Windows and Linux Servers, Active Directory, Group Policy, TCP/IP, OSI model
- Development Experience: WordPress plugins and themes, websites, mobile device applications
Independent Developer and Web Designer | 2008 – Present
- Created and maintain the online presence of the Leo Robbins Community Sailing Center (http://LRSailingCenter.com) to attract clients and business partners.
- Developed two highly rated WordPress plugins used by thousands of web designers and bloggers.
- Provided technical support, training, and consultations to dozens of plugin clients.
Sailing Instructor / Recreation Leader | City of Ventura | 2002 – Present
- Achieved and maintain United States Coast Guard captain (near coastal) and master (inland, 25-ton) licenses, US Sailing instructor certification, ASA instructor certification, and CPR & first aid certifications.
- Organize and communicate complex boating subjects to students of varying skill levels and ages.
- Created and maintain sailing instruction curriculum and materials for three separate courses.
- Regularly manage and coordinate 2- to 5-member teams of staff to provide optimal and safe conditions for boating education.
- Perform routine maintenance and repairs of vessels and facilities.
Honors & Awards
- President’s list, Dean’s list, member Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society, and member Pi Tau Sigma International Mechanical Engineering Honor Society.
- 2011 Excellence in Instruction Award: National award presented by the United States Sailing Association, the governing body for the sport of sailing in the United States.